Ryan - Aimee - Tyce - Parker

March 13, 2009

My interview with Bridget

For those of you who don't know my sis-in-law, Bridget, and haven't checked out her blog...she has been interviewing people and then has them post their responses on their own blogs. So here is my interview with her.

1. Since you're married to my brother, I just have to ask you this. What was the dating life like with you two and how is it now that you are married?

Well, I know that Ryan would say it was really hard because I was so non-committal for such a long time, but really it was for the best. I had had a few pretty serious relationships before Ryan, so I was a little leery of giving my heart away to him too fast. Our dating life was pretty relaxed and easy going, kinda like we are now. We did what all LDS couples do, watched movies and hung out. It was a short dating life, but a really good one and showed me what a great guy I was marrying.

Our married life isn't too different. We get to do some fun things that we didn't get to do before like snowboarding, camping, and traveling. And by traveling, I mean going on family vacations and such.

2. I know that since I've made it official that I was going to BYU-I, I've learned a lot from you and the life of BYU-I. I think you probably could give me the best advice about it because you know me pretty well and you know the life of the college. What are some things that I need to watch out for, and what are some pointers about BYU-I that I should know.

I would say watch out for RETURNED MISSIONARIES, at least in your freshman year. However, if you find the man you are supposed to marry in that first year then I'll support you 100%. But seriously, don't let all those RM's ask you out because they are much too serious and you want to have fun for a while too!

Do everything, would be my advise. Get your homework done early and then play as much as you can. Do intermerals, sing under the stadium at least once, go to all your ward activities, if you have the chance to go skiing/snowboarding do it, love your roommates even if you don't see eye to eye on everything, play games, play capture the flag using the campus as your playing field, and go on many dates with David. I'll tell you about that last one later! Oh, and don't forget to go to church, duh!

3. You have recently, in the last year or so, bought a house and started making it a home and a place to have a family. What are some of your favorite things about having a house vs. a small little apartment? and anything that someone can do to prepare for buying a house?

Having a house is the best! I do miss the price of rent for our small little house we first lived in, but I don't miss anything else. I love that I can paint and hang stuff on the walls without losing our deposit. It's nice just to be able to call it ours.

Buying a house is a huge decision and one that shouldn't be taken lightly. So I guess, just make sure its right for you and your situation.

4. You also work at a bank. I think it would be fun to work at a bank because of the lack-of knowledge that a lot of people have in the world of finances and money. But i'm sure you always get the annoying customers or the ones that are unknown to rules and regulations. What are some experiences that you have had at the bank that have changed your views on the general public? And what would you tell us to help us look a little smarter and aware the next time we go to the bank?

I can't think of a particular experience, but pretty much people don't know how to mange money is what I've experienced so far. If you don't have money, don't spend money. Pretty simple really, but lots of people can't quite grasp that concept. Something to help you look smarter would be....oh I don't know, I never went in banks before I worked there!

5. Since being married and having to deal with the in-laws, haha, what would you say is the easiest and hardest part of being married and dealing with the in-laws? I have heard that sometimes meeting and having to deal with the in-laws sometimes broadens your horizons, your cultures, your views on life, and the way things are done. Would you have to agree?

When we were first married it was hard to schedule equal time (especially during the holidays) between the two families. You'd think that because our families both live in Nampa that it would be easy, but it was pretty hard at first. The best part of in-laws is that you get to have more family who love you and care about you!!

I would totally agree with that statement. I think when Ryan and I raise our kids we'll be able to incorporate good ideas from both sides since we both have fabulous parents.

Thanks Bridget for giving me something to post!!!

4 comments:

Emily said...

I can't believe you told her to go stadium singing...DON'T DO IT BRIDGET!! All the other things are good suggestions though!

The Stices said...

It's so good to see that you are still alive... Good suggestions and good to learn some more about you.

Love The Stices

Travis and Bridget Shumaker said...

hahaha. :) thanks Aimee for doing this!! i love hearing from you, and it was fun to hear some things that i didnt know about you, and about me. =] Your answers were great and much appreciated.
i love your suggestions for BYU-I too and i will definitely listen to them. thanks.
love ya!
~Bridge
p.s. who's David? and whats so wrong with Stadium Singing??! should i or shouldnt i do it?

Lara said...

Way to go Bridget!!! You get brownie points for getting Aimee to Blog!!!